Friday, December 09, 2005

Recipe: Brussels Sprouts

This is so easy that I'm just going to list the steps. And since I'm feeling extra-lazy at the moment, I'm just going to cut-and-paste from a posting I made elsewhere, along with commentary and a response from some other guy:

> >[1] Clean, trim, bisect through the radial axis, blanch, shock,
> >dry, saute in olive oil, add lots of minced garlic about halfway
> >through, and be sure to get the cut sides nice and brown.

> Sounds good. Easy, too.

Oh, it's damn good. Brussels sprouts are the Queen of Vegetables anyway; this just makes 'em even better. Just be careful not to burn the garlic.

When I was about nine, my younger brother was horrified to find a brussels sprout on his plate. In a rare moment of fraternal comity, I decided to help him through this crisis by explaining to him that it was nothing more than "a little baby cabbage." He's been a very serious vegetable eater ever since.

Now, if I could just get my SO to eat them....

> ("Shock"?)

Plunge into ice water to halt the cooking process.

No comments: